Friday, July 21, 2006

3. Am I ever lost?

The other day, I was on orkut (an online community that connects people through a network of trusted friends) going through a friend's friend list when I came across a long lost mate from my school days! In my excitement, I sent him a message, "Now you shud thank me... I found you first on orkut!!" What he replied back was totally unexpected but very much pleasing: "Hey I was never lost............so you didn't find me...I always existed here.....he he." Even though he said that in a humorous way, what he said had a deeper meaning to it.

How much is the distance from me to myself? Is it possible for me to get lost? Isn't it always true that I always am? Always present!? Here, Now! How can I be lost?


Following passages have been taken from Swami Rama Tirtha's lecture on "The Real Self" (Book: In Woods of God-Realization)

In a German folk-lore we hear about a man who lost his shadow. That is a very strange thing. A man lost his shadow and that man had to suffer for it. All his friends deserted him, all prosperity left him, and he was in a very sorry plight for it. What will you think of a man who instead of losing his shadow loses the substance? There may be hope for a man who loses only the shadow, but what hope can there be for a man who loses the substance, the body?

Such is the case of the majority of people in this world. Most men have lost not their shadow but their substance, the reality. Wonder of wonders! The body is simply the shadow, and the real Self, the real Atman, is the reality. Everybody will tell us about his shadow, everybody will tell us anything and everything about his body, but how few are there who will tell us anything and everything about their real Self, the real Soul, the real Atman. What are you? What is the use of gaining the whole world and losing your own soul? People are trying to gain the whole world but they miss the Soul, they miss the Atman. Lost, lost, lost. What is lost? The horse or the rider? The horseman is lost. The body is like the horse, and the Atman, the true Self, the Soul is like the rider. The rider is lost, the horse is there. Everybody will tell us anything and everything about the horse, but we want to know something about the rider, the horseman, the owner of the horse.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey thats kool....it was a gr8 thing to read....i must admit something really to think about and very interesting....U c its not everyday u get to read an article or blog with your own quote in it... Hey prabs u r a really creative person i think. keep up the gr8 wrk.