Monday, June 04, 2007

41. The Holy Debates - Part Two: The Double-Entendre

This has been put up just for you to enjoy the fun with English Language, and also for me to feel my ego.

One asureshma from the web (can't say a 'he', or a 'she', or an 'it', but in any case, let me assume a 'she' so as to be on the safer side of gender bias) comments on one of Swami Paramahamsa Nithyananda's videos posted on youtube; the numbers at the front indicate the time in the video recording when Swamiji made a statement -- (paraphrased) 'When Mother hands you over to Father, forget whatever you learnt from Mother. Same is true when Father hands you over to Master, and finally when Master hands you over to God. Then there will be nothing to remember. People will remember you.' -- which caused her to raise a brow and type with itchy hands:
48:39-49:18--Instead of forgetting, I prefer to Enrich my knowing from Mother,Father and Master.Moreover I dont seek the fame to remember by people.

My friend, A., who happened to see this comment, asks me, of all people, to reply to it. He, of course, doesn't want to be the only one having fun with replying to idiots, and wants to share this joy with me! What a man! Feel like bestowing him with some honor. Of course, I am no Musharraf. But at least you can understand my sentiments.

I feel like I should start my reply with the salutation, "Dear asur..." Yup! asur means demon in devlok, and it would have pleased Dogbert too! Unfortunately, A. insists that I shouldn't be doing that, and should keep the debate within bounds.

"Just defeat her flawed logic. Be Shankara," were his exact words.
"Adi, or anaadi?"
"Adi!"
Okay. So, here goes my reply (available on the web) -

In Zen, there is a proverb: "If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha." Do you know why it is said? It's not from a physical plane you should be killing Buddha... If you want to reach the ultimate goal, you have to surpass every step of the way!

Dear asureshma: You say, "I dont seek the fame to remember by people." You need not. You shouldn't. Just be Enlightened, and the unenlightened will follow you! Of course, there will be some with unthoughtful comments, but let us keep them aside. We are talking about you here, aren't we? Be in Bliss, as always!

Noticed the double-entendre?! I bet, both the Shankaras would be proud of me now! As A. remarks: you lovingly sliced her head so smoothly!

9 comments:

Kannan said...

Rajendra, I did not understand ur HI-FI reply. I guess this is Rajendra's Bhramaastra number 2.

when somebody says something intelligent, that cannot be refuted. Say something equally intelligent, but something totally unrelated, that cannot be refuted also

Kannan said...

Also, no offense to swamiji, but at times he says something, while he himself contradicts it. Eg. during ATSP they played a video on Shiva Sutras by swamiji. He was explaining a sutra which he translated as something meaning (i am paraphrasing) "you will be established in peace with eyes still without blinking"....he explained it to mean...if we are listening and our eyes are blinking, it means that we are thinking and have not understood. However throughout the talk, his eyes were blinking constantly....!? Was he not aware of this or was he making a joke out of it, only he knows.

prabhu.i.am said...

It's okay Kanna, if you didn't understand the Hi Fi reply.
A day will come, when the bird flies back to its nest, when there is no need to look at the finger pointing to the moon... :)

If one has to type something unrelated, but intelligent, then that wasn't the place to do it. If it was a generic statement, it was fine. But it was a statement made due to misinterpretation of the video's teachings.

If you check out earlier videos of N! on youtube, you'll notice that Asur has made a career out of commenting b*llsh*t! As I understand from reliable sources, this demon has been debarred from further commenting.

prabhu.i.am said...

Kanna, talking of N!'s shiva sutra commentary, I would request you to contemplate on it. I won't say I have fully understood exactly the way N! wanted it to be understood. Ponder over the teachings as if they were said only to you, that too in person! Contemplate on them, and in three years time (in your case, it might be less), another Nisargadatta Maharaj will be born! :)

Kannan said...

Okay, the birds are slowly flying back to the nest ....I get it now! Sorry my mind is too slow to catch up with the wit coming out of a great mind like urs!

Kannan said...

you said: "talking of N!'s shiva sutra commentary, I would request you to contemplate on it."

Rajendra, this is a classic example of bhramaastra #2 . You couldn't refute the fact that he was blinking. So instead you focus on the possibility that I might not have understood his words, which might or might not be true, but totally takes the focus away from the actual question :)

But I get ur point, however that point is totally pointless in regards to actual comment.

prabhu.i.am said...

Oh man! You happen to be a walking microscope! Had you been around when Ramana Maharshi, Ramakrishna, or Nisargadatta Maharaj gave discourses, you definitely would have found them contradictory to what you would have thought as the "ideal enlightened master" should be doing. I can bet on it! :)

I am not hiding from the fact that N! blinks. Why should I? But I don't have any issues with his blinking and in the same breath asking us to not blink when we "listen to" (not "hear") his teachings! If I get a bit closer to the Goal by following his instructions, I wouldn't mind if he himself doesn't follow them. Secondly, once I reach THAT state, would I be worrying about blinking? I guess not, and I think that's what N! is doing; not worrying about people questioning his blinking!

Next time when you are deeply engrossed in your work, when you are in the NOW, the PRESENT MOMENT, check out whether you are blinking or not! Now, please don't use the reverse logic by saying that if N! blinks, then he is not in the NOW. You cunning mind! :)

Kannan said...

Yeah, ur right! There is more benefit in following instructions than checking if the instructor is following them.

You might recall someone accused Nisargatta maharaj of eating meat and so being violent and inconsistent with his own teachings, he replied "I make no claims for consistency. You think absolute consistency is possible; prove it by example."

...okay I give up

The closest I have seen someone coming to perfect consistency with their own teachings is Ramana Maharshi. Again that was perhaps because he spoke the fewest words.

prabhu.i.am said...

Beautiful! Discussing with you is always a pleasure. You shed a few gems once in a while.