Tuesday, July 03, 2007

46. The Morning Raga

Being the only child of my parents, sometimes I didn't find any other suitable candidate for my childhood pranks than, one of my parents! Luckily for them, I wasn't ordinarily mischievous. Extraordinarily mischievous? May be. You decide based on this prank.

It's early morning, around 6am. I am wide awake and go to the washbasin to brush my teeth. I am in my 4th or 5th Grade. My dad is yet to rise from bed.

Aha! An idea! Let's check out if my dad is able to notice a subtle change early in the morning.

Hmm!? Ya, my dad is to undergo a test now! All I do is swap the locations of two similar objects, which are placed in a tray in front of the washbasin mirror and in the brush holder. I now go about preparing for my ablutions waiting to hear from a surprised dad with mouth wide open, in just about 5 minutes.

As usual, my dad gets up after hearing me finish my washbasin formalities, eager to conquer the world, yet-another-day! He starts off the day with brushing his teeth.

I, fortunately or unfortunately, am not around at the time when the paste-laden toothbrush is inserted into the mouth, but I can very well imagine what would happen next.

Hey, why does this brush taste differently today? Such a thought arises in my dad's Cerebrum. Is it the brush, or the paste? Why so much froth?

With a feeling of getting up from the wrong side of the bed, my dad asks my mom, who is the earliest riser in the family, if she has changed anything. Without getting a satisfying answer from her, my dad again looks at the washbasin area, this time with eyes wide open and notices the subtle change!

'Yikes! I applied the shaving paste to my toothbrush! How the h**l did it get here?'

"R-A-J-E-N-D-R-A-A-A...!!!"

The siren! Yahoo! My test worked! My dad failed! Hip Hip Hurray!


Epilogue

As it was getting late for office, apart from uttering few felicitous vowel sounds in a loud and clear tone, my dad let me go. After that day this incident was never mentioned, not until now! My dad, who crossed 60 recently will have a pleasant surprise when he comes upon this web-page while browsing the net. Chances are, he will have a good laugh!

3 comments:

Kannan said...

LOL!

Krupa said...

ha ha ..:-)

Indeed Funny one!

prabhu.i.am said...

One more thing which I missed to mention in the post:

Each time I go to brush my teeth, I am reminded of this incident, which makes me take precaution when applying the paste to my toothbrush, lest someone else has played the same trick on me!