Monday, August 21, 2006

11. Having Trust in the Guru

Once you have selected your (spiritual) Guru (it's actually you being selected as the disciple), you need to have utmost trust in the Guru and his/her words! Following Osho joke is a good example of that:

Mulla Nasrudin and his wife went to Israel for their holidays and visited a nightclub in Tel Aviv. A comedian was on the bill who did his whole act in Hebrew. Nasrudin's wife sat through the comic's act in silence, but Nasrudin roared with laughter at the end of each joke.

"I did not know you understood Hebrew," she said to the Mulla when the comedian had concluded his act. "I don't," replied Nasrudin.
"Well, how come you laughed so much at his jokes?"
"Oh," said Nasrudin, "I trusted him."


But in that trust, don't use your unripened mind, as the following Osho joke suggests:

Sir Reginald, riding in a New York taxi, was challenged by the driver to solve a riddle: "This person I am thinking of has the same father that I have and the same mother, but it is not my sister and it is not my brother. Who is it?"

The Britisher thought for a moment, and then gave up.

"It is me," the cabdriver told him.
"By Jove! That's jolly good. I must try that on the chaps at my club!"


A month later he was sitting in London with his cigar-smoking cronies. He said, "Gentlemen, this individual I have in mind is not my brother and not my sister, yet this person has the same parents as I have -- who is it?"

After several thoughtful minutes, all the members conceded defeat. "Who is it?" one of them inquired. "Come on Reggie, give us the answer."

Reggie slapped his knees in triumph. "It is a taxicab driver in New York City!" he roared.

(http://www.oshoworld.com/Jokes/main.asp)

And with that trust, life is changed once and for all!

A patient lying on the operating table started screaming, "I don't want to be cut open! You'll kill me! I don't want to die!"

The surgeon tried to calm the patient. "Just take it easy, sir," he said. "Look at my long white beard. I've done thousands of operations and nothing has ever gone wrong."

"Oh, doctor, you're right! I know I can trust you!" replied the patient.

When the patient awoke after the operation, he looked around and saw the same white beard and said, "Oh, thank you, doctor! You are a saint!"

"It's okay, son, you don't have to thank me. I am not your doctor -- my name is St. Peter!"

No comments: