Thursday, August 24, 2006

13. I am in neither General nor Reserved Category!

Name: Rajendra Prabhu... only in a name, as neither am I the King of Kings (Rajendra) nor have I realization of the Lord (Prabhu)!
Caste by Birth: Brahmin
Caste by Work: Shudra, as I am in IT services industry, working neither as an intellectual (Brahmin), nor as a soldier/ruler/administrator (Kshatriya), nor as a businessman (Vaishya)
Category: Self, the indivisible one!

Why should I worry if the Government of India is planning to increase the reservation quota for the Lower/Backward Category in educational and professional institutes to 50% and above? I am sure the Government has demographic reasons to prove that the General category is no more in general but in exception! Hence, let me call them the Upper category, in contrast to the Lower Category who are being provided with the reservation quotas.

The question is whether the people fighting against reservation on the streets, stopping traffic, taking unwarranted vacations from work, and the like... are they really in the Upper category? I am not taking into account their heredity, but only their actions. Whatever means they are adopting constitutes to be actions from Lower Category! Hence, they can be labelled to be in the Reservation-less Lower Category! And definitely, they should continue with these actions -- a proof of their category.

Now that we have weeded out the mischief-mongers, lets talk of the Upper category. Why should they worry at all? A rose is a rose is a rose! Pluto is happily revolving about the Sun, without bothering whether Man declares it to be a planet or something else. So why should the Upper Category folks worry? After all, they have duly been categorized as Upper! Isn't that a status symbol in itself? When the society has given you such a noble distinction, shouldn't you give the society something in return? Until now you were busy with white collar jobs, becoming engineers and doctors. Now is an opportunity to use your talent in other fields: carpentry, farming, plumbing! If that's too beneath your status symbol (God knows why), then why not open your ancestral texts -- the Vedas, the Upanishads -- and revive a world of Ayurveda and Yoga? The possibilities are many... you just need to be perseverant for gaining back your glory in the Sun!

Time for me to take a stretch break while you ponder over this thought...

2 comments:

Mukho said...

if you of all people are a shudra by profession, god save the rest of us!

an afterthought - where does that put me? maybe i was a brahmin in my med stu days, now?

i dont recollect using my brain, my muscles, my business sense or my (nonexistent) humble wish to serve humanity anytime in the recent past.

i'm casteless. wow.

Mukho said...

thats me, by the way.