Wednesday, August 23, 2006

12. Hold onto that Thought!

Ever heard the TV host say, "Hold onto that thought while we take a commercial break"?

Ever tried to hold onto a thought, like this Ogden Nash centipede did?

The centipede was happy quite
Until a toad, in fun,
Said, "Pray, which leg goes after which
When you begin to run?
That worked her mind to such a pitch,
She lay distracted in a ditch,
Considering how to run.

Can you give it a try with this Ogden Nash piece?

When people reject a truth or an untruth it is not
because it is a truth or an untruth that they reject it.
No, if it isn't in accord with their beliefs in the
first place they simply say, "Nothing doing," and refuse to inspect it.

Likewise when they embrace a truth or an untruth it
is not for either its truth or its mendacity,
But simply because they have believed it all along
and therefore regard the embrace as a tribute to
their own fair-mindedness and sagacity.

And what about this one from the same Ogden Nash?

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree;
Indeed, unless the billboards fall
I'll never see a tree at all


The billboard correlates to your perspective of your self, while the tree corresponds to the Real Self!

If you are trying to come out of your usual thought patterns, check out the blog http://oshospeak.blogspot.com which contains Osho discourses, Osho teachings, Osho quotes, Osho jokes and personal development... It's worth a visit! Especially read Osho's answer to a question from a disciple: "Osho, My problem is that I think there is something wrong with me. If I think that I have a problem then I really do have one. In fact, thinking seems to be just the making up of problems. What do you think?"

No comments: