Friday, May 18, 2007

35. A Page from my Pressure Cooker's diary

Today, May 18 2007, is the last day when I would have served my beloved Master as a pressure cooker, after some 5 years of pleasure-cooking. I say this, with a sense of contentment for, even in my end, my unselfishness shone, and my altruism has now been immortalised with His Holiness' blog posting!

Master's roomie, who I have seen helping out my Master and His more accomplished cooking roommates in their cooking, has been very good at doing just that. I had thought that he might, by now, would have graduated to a better position in the cooking hierarchy, but it was not meant to be.

Master was having His shower, and if my imaginative mind serves me, would have been shampooing His radiant head when the apartment's fire alarm went off all of a sudden! I heard Him turn off the shower and yell from inside the bathroom asking His roomie outside to clear the air and put an end to the deafening alarm. After some windows and doors were opened, the alarm was finally silenced.

Out came my Master after a well-deserved bath, eager to check the state of the kitchen. The air had a burning smell to it.

Master was quite suspicious of the understudy's cookery skills, and first checked the electric rice cooker by my side. It was working fine. Then He came to me, and saw me still facing the heat on top of a burning heating coil. Master asked the roommate if he had added water to the dal (lentil) in the cooker, and got the reply in negative. I think I saw a bulb light in the understudy's head, who all this while had felt that he had accomplished a remarkable task by silencing the alarm and was busy browsing the net on his laptop unaware of the implications of his incomplete cooking knowledge on my future.

If you had asked me earlier to choose between destiny and free-will, I would have answered free-will, for I had felt that I chose my Master, when I was back in India in an utensil shop, helping my Master with His choice of a cooker by showing my happy face. Now I don't know if it is fate, which rules. In either case, I am happy to have come to the service of my Master.

I hope Master doesn't dispose me, but instead makes use of me as a vessel for His cooking needs. One thing is for sure: with my sacrifice, the understudy would have learnt his lesson in the fine art of cooking with a pressure cooker!

1 comment:

Girish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.